Saturday 3 December 2011

Goals

otherwise titled "Guess What Husband and I Are Doing When He Gets Back from Afghanistan!"
This is Mt. Rainier, one of the most recognizable symbols of the pacific northwest. I see this mountain pretty much everyday I decide to stick my head outside.

Although I'm not a camping person, I love hiking. The first couple months that my family and I were here in Washington, we hit up Mt. St. Helens, drove up into the Cascade Mountains, wandered around Lake Cushman, and just recently drove up to Stevens Pass in Skycomish to see some snow.

But ever since I've moved here, I've been interested in seeing this mountain, and yesterday I decided I wanted to see what it looks like from the top.

You can stop laughing now.

Again, I admit I'm not a camping-in-the-elements type of person. I like hot water, I like being warm, and I like access to mirrors. However after stumbling across this article yesterday, I decided that not only was I going to haul my ass up that mountain, but I was going to haul my husband up with me, because what fun is trekking across glaciers and navigating deep, dark crevasses if you can't do it with the one person who pledged to suffer right along with you for the rest of his life?

So we're going to do it. However, as he pointed out last night, you can't just decide one day to run a marathon if the only running you've ever done is streaking during college and chasing your five and two-year olds.  So we are making a plan.


First we'll start off with some light day hiking in order to practice wearing packs. Then we'll try an overnight; possibly hiking around near the base of Mt. Rainier. After that will come a practice run; possibly one of the more intensive trails and climbs at Mt. Baker. After Husband has sufficiently satisfied himself that I won't get halfway past the aptly named Cadaver Gap and refuse to go on, we'll sign ourselves up with Rainier Mountaineering, Inc and be on our way.

But first I need some shoes.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

ALEAH YVET! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PPL HAVE DIED WHILE CLIMBING THAT MOUNTAIN?!?!? SMH...

KRISTI

Veronica said...

You can practice at Snoqualmie Falls!! Besides being beautiful, the track to the bottom is pretty steep! We did it when Keirnan was about 4 months old and I wore him in a front carrier. Down was easy, but coming back up kicked my butt!! (Not to mention he had an explosive diaper on the way back up that just drained down his leg! Thank God the outlet mall is about 5 minutes down the road!!)