Wednesday 29 December 2010

Green Earth Mama, M.D.

As a nurse, I get occasional emails, phone calls, etc from family and friends asking for input on medical issues.  To be clear: I enjoy this.  If I don't know an answer, I love finding out the answer.  I also have no problem if the asker disregards what I'm saying; they're asking for a little input, not a hard-line I AM RIGHT AND YOU MUST OBEY MY COMMANDS ELSE I WILL SMITE THEE.


However.


I do have one old acquaintance who regularly emails me, asks my opinion (totally fine), googles what I tell her (again, totally fine), questions how I know what I've told her (um, I went to nursing school), tells me she has "a friend who that happened to and she ended up being paralyzed for a month" (that sucks), consults her psychic on the matter (wtf?), and then either follows my suggestion (which is usually based on standard practices) or she, her husband, her children, and/or her neighbor gets better and there's nothing more to worry about.
This time was a little different.  After asking me about her 6-month old's fever (104F not responding to ibuprofen) and after I'd explained that no, it was probably not because he was teething, he might have a bacterial infection and should be seen by a doctor, she then wrote back "Well I don't like the idea of giving him unnecessary antibiotics."  When I replied that when your child has a bacterial infection, antibiotics tend to be a very good thing, her response was "Well, this one lady says too many antibiotics will make him sicker and I need to just trust his body to do its job."


Which brings me to Green Earth Mama (who had a little blog going; it's since been taken down, for some reason).  My friend decided to share my email address with Green Earth Mama.  Our communication from a few days ago has been copied and pasted below for your enjoyment.





-----Original Message-----
From:   "ALYSSA HARMON" <greenearth_mama2008>
Sent:   Sunday, December 5, 2010  08:15 AM
To:   "Aleah Steiner" <a.leah>
Subject:  WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!

HEY I HOPE U DONT MIND UR FRIEND K  GAVE ME UR EMAIL BUT I WAS WONDERING HOW U THOT THAT HER LIL BABY FOR SURE HAD AN INFECTION? WITHOUT BEIN A DOCTOR? NOT TRYIN 2 START NE THING JUST MAYBE SHE SHOULD NOT GO STRAIGHT 2 THE DOC FOR EVERY SNIFFLE KWIM?

Subject:  Re: WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!
From:  "Aleah Steiner"
Sent:   Sunday, December 5, 2010  11:14 AM
To:  "ALYSSA HARMON"

Hi Alyssa.  I'm certainly glad you were clear about "not trying to start anything"; for a moment there I thought perhaps you were angry.  To answer your question, I was making an educated guess on her son's condition due to two factors: first, his 104 temp - most of the time, viral infections or other inflammatory processes won't raise a body temp that high; bacterial infection is the more likely culprit; and second, his fever is non-reducible (meaning the ibuprofen isn't working).

You are correct that I am not a doctor.  I do have a stethoscope though.  That makes me smart.

As for your comment that "maybe she should not go 2 the doc for every sniffle"... alas, he doesn't have a sniffle.  He has a fever.  A rather high one.

Subject:  Re: Re: WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!
From:  "ALYSSA HARMON"
Sent:   Sunday, December 5, 2010  11:28 AM
To:  "Aleah Steiner"

Y WOULD U THINK IM ANGRY?

Subject:  Re: Re: Re: WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!
From:  "Aleah Steiner"
Sent:   Sunday, December 5, 2010  11:33 AM
To:  "ALYSSA HARMON"

BECAUSE WHEN PEOPLE TYPE LIKE THIS THEY TEND TO DO SO WHEN THEY WOULD LIKE TO INDICATE THAT THEY ARE SHOUTING.

Subject:  Re: Re: Re: Re: WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!
From:  "ALYSSA HARMON"
Sent:   Sunday, December 5, 2010  11:40 AM
To:  "Aleah Steiner"

OH!!  LOL NO THATS JUST MY THING THATS HOW I TALK 2 PPL.  N U DONT HAV 2 GET HUFFY BOUT WHAT IWROTE MY POINT IS SHE IS A EARTH MAMA JUST LIKE ME N U. SHE SHOULD LISTEN 2 HER GUT NSTEAED OF PUTTING $$$ IN THE POCKETS OF PPL WHO DONT KNOW HER KID. THOSE PPL DO NOT HAV HER BEST INTEREST IN THIER HEARTS THEY WANT 2 SHOVE POISON VAX LOADED W/ AUTISTIC DISEASE DOWN UR THROAT N POISON PILLS LOADED W/ POISON AT U.

Subject:  Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!
From:  "Aleah Steiner"
Sent:   Sunday, December 5, 2010  11:58 AM
To:  "ALYSSA HARMON"

Ah, I see.  I sOmEtiMes LiKe tO bE cReATiVe WhEn I cOmMUniCaTe aS wELL, bUt It'S UsUaLly DoNe iN a SaTiRiCal CoNtExT.  Christ, that's time-consuming.

As for your assertion that Earth Mamas such as myself should listen to our gut... well, my gut is telling me K needs to take her son to the doctor :).  It's just a hunch; call me crazy.  Furthermore, while I do think that when non-medical personnel are making medical decisions for people they haven't met, they are probably looking at the financial bottom line and not at a human -I also think that that most - in fact, the majority - of physicians make their medical decisions based on the needs of that individual patient.

Finally, while I respect your opinion, I will respectfully submit that vaccines are not, as you claim, "loaded with autistic disease."  Hats off to your fervent adherence to that particular myth; your tenacity, were it applied to other issues, would be admirable.  You might research your opinions a bit more though; and reading Jenny McCarthy's "Mother Warrior" does not, alas, constitute research.  Additionally, may I point out that "poison pills loaded with poison" is a bit of a redundancy?  But props on your proper spelling of "poison;" that's a tough one for some people.

Subject:  Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!
From:   "ALYSSA HARMON"
Sent:  Sunday, December 5, 2010  12:35 PM
To:  "Aleah Steiner"

FIRST U DONT NEED 2 TALK 2 ME LIEK THAT I KNOW WHAT I KNOW AND I GUESS ITS UR JOB 2 BE A DROID AN DO WHAT THE DOC SAYS BUT I AM A EARTH MAMA LIEK I SAID AN I KNOW WHAT I KNOW.  U DONT HAV 2 HAV A MEDICAL 2 BE AWARE OF UR CHILDS BODY N HOW IT WORKS.  I HV BEEN A EARTH MAMA 4 2 YRS NOW. LAST I KNEW MOTHERS IN2ICION STILL COUNTS 4 SUMTHIN. U THREW OFF A DISEASE THAT IS HOW IMMUNE SYS WORKS WHEN U HAVE A FEVER.

Subject:  Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WELL HI THERE!!!!!!!
From:   "Aleah Steiner"
Sent:  Sunday, December 5, 2010  12:49 PM
To:  "ALYSSA HARMON"

Now, you see?  I bet you would like to be shouting now, but since you're already typing in all caps, you really have no where else to go.  You should become acquainted with the bold and italics function on your computer; I bet it'd open up a whole new world for you!  Also - may I be picky? - I am not, as you wrote, "talking" to you.  I am writing.  You are not listening, you are reading (at what level, I dare not ask).

As it's quite late here, I do need to sign off, but I would like to address one more tiny thing with you - your remark on the immune system's relation to fever and disease.  I believe your statement reflects a rather poor understanding of pathophysiology and how fevers and disease processes work.  May I suggest taking a basic anatomy and physiology class, along with perhaps a general biology, in order to facilitate your understanding of these things?  While this would entail your obtaining a G.E.D., I believe that you might find the information helpful, albeit in direct contradiction to advice you've previously posted in your blog.

My best to you, Alyssa Green Earth Mama Harmon.  I need to go take a poisonous aspirin after our little convo.  You take care.




1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh my god, I would have had a headache no aspirin could cure after that conversation.